Home Syllabus Calendar Homework
Math 21-350 Spring 2017
Updated 13 February 2017
This calendar is subject to revision throughout the term.
- Wednesday, 15 February: Introductions, gumdrops.
- Friday, 17 February: No class
- Monday, 20 February: The road to Hadwiger-Nelson: 4-color theorem. Genesis, Kempe's 'proof'
- Wednesday, 22 February: Kempe's 'proof' continued, Tait's attempts
- Friday, 24 February: 'Proof' by technology: Appel and Haken, and controversy.
- Monday, 27 February: Appel and Haken, continued. Robertson and Seymour come on the scene.
- Wednesday, 1 March Related map coloring problems, Victorian to present day.
- Friday, 3 March: The 'Second 4-color problem': Hadwiger-Nelson. Genesis. Map-coloring approach.
- Monday, 6 March: Map-coloring approach, continued. Townsend-Woodall.
- Wednesday, 8 March: Townsend-Woodall, continued.
- Friday, 10 March: No class
- Monday, 13 March: No class
- Wednesday, 15 March: No class
- Friday, 17 March: No class
- Monday, 20 March: Infinity by way of finiteness: De Bruijn-Erdos.
- Wednesday, 22 March: De Bruijn-Erdos, continued
- Friday, 24 March: Finding finite graphs: some cool pictures.
- Monday, 27 March: On to something completely different: Ramsey Theory!
- Wednesday, 29 March: The Happy End problem, a love story.
- Friday, 31 March: Coloring integers: How Ramsey didn't really start Ramsey Theory. Schur's Theorem, Van der Waerden.
- Monday, 3 April: Schur and Van der Waerden, continued.
- Wednesday, 5 April: The life and times of Van der Waerden.
- Friday, 7 April: Who cares about colored integers? The road to Green-Tao, by way of Szemeredi.
- Monday, 10 April: Green-Tao, continued.
- Wednesday, 12 April: Coloring polygons: Ramsey meets maps.
- Friday, 14 April: Gallai's Theorem
- Monday, 17 April: Gallai, continued.
- Wednesday, 19 April: catch up
- Friday, 21 April: No class
- Monday, 24 April:
- Wednesday, 26 April:
- Friday, 28 April:
Final Essay/project due on Friday, 12 May 2017.
- Monday, 1 May:
- Wednesday, 3 May:
- Friday, 5 May: