Purpose: Networking details
1. Find the hostname of the local computer (Hint: use the "hostname" command).
2. Find the IP address of the local computer. Try the "host" command
with the host name as an argument, then with the IP address with an
3. Find more details about the network interfaces on the computer using
the "ifconfig" command. (Hint: the ifconfig binary may not be in the
path, search for it.) Try to identify the MAC address and figure out
what is the meaning of the rest of the info.
4. Explore the routing tables of the computer using the "route" command.
5. Test the link between two computers using "ping" and explore the
routers involved in the communication using "traceroute". Read the
manual pages and understand the meaning of the output.
6. Use ssh to login to a remote computer from several xterms. Monitor
the forking of the sshd daemon processes with the number of incoming
connections. Use "pstree" to see how are these processes related.
7. What would be the broadcast and the network addresses for a computer
with the IP address 18.104.22.168, netmask 255.255.255.196.
8. Eplore the active network connections on the computer using the "netstat" command.
9. Find the files used by different processes using the "lsof" command.
Read the manual page. Can you figure out what options to use to find
the ports open by network services?