Ph D Programs
Ph D Program Requirements
Current Graduate Students
Graduate Student Seminar
Prerequisites: knowledge of (undergraduate) real analysis and general topology (having taken 21-651, or consent of instructor)
- Linear spaces: Hilbert spaces, Banach spaces, topological vector spaces
- Hilbert spaces: geometry, projections, Riesz Representation Theorem, bilinear and quadratic forms, orthonormal sets and Fourier series.
- Banach spaces: continuity of linear mappings, Hahn-Banach Theorem, uniform boundedness, open-mapping theorem. Closed operators, closed graph theorem.
- Dual spaces: weak and weak-star topologies (Banach-Alaoglu Theorem), reflexivity. Space of bounded continuous functions and its dual, dual of , dual of
- Linear operators and adjoints: basic properties, null spaces and ranges. Compact operators. Sequences of bounded linear operators: weak, strong and uniform convergence.
- Introduction to spectral theory: Notions of spectrum and resolvent set of bounded operators, spectral theory of compact operators. Time permitting: Fredholm Alternative.
- Time permitting: Stone-Weierstrass Theorem.